|— Looks like it's hopeless for this stub. —|
|This article is missing sections of information. You can help Amphibia Wiki by expanding it.|
Amphibians are sapient intelligent inhabitants of the magical swamp-like tropical world of Amphibia.
Amphibians are cold-blooded, tetrapod vertebrates of the class Amphibia. Modern amphibians are all Lissamphibia. They inhabit a wide variety of habitats, with most species living within terrestrial, fossorial, arboreal, or freshwater aquatic ecosystems.
The Amphibians look like anthropomorphic amphibians with four fingers and two toes, and many different colored bodies, eyes, mouths, and tongues. In the series, some amphibians have three different pupil shapes: realistic, semi-realistic, and dots. In the show so far, only Order Anura (Frogs and toads) and Order Urodela (Salamanders, newts, and axolotls) have been seen. In Wartwood Swamp, their clothes are ragged, except for the Mayor and Toadie who wear upper-class clothing. Later it seems Wally Ribbiton's father Wigbert is a much higher upper-class.
Most of the characters in this series have been frogs and toads, including The Plantar Family, Mrs. Croaker, Mayor Toadstool, Grime, etc. They have large eyes, retractable tongues, large rear feet, and two nostril holes for a nose. They are usually short and feature no tail in adult form. In the show, frogs maintain an agrarian culture and are organized into small farm towns, while the toads are a militaristic ruling class of Amphibia and hold every position of power. Toads are more distinguished in the show as being more stockier, bigger, and possessing groves that run parallel down their necks. Frogs have the ability to jump really high compared to other amphibians.
Frog children are alternatively called pollywogs.
Salamanders, axolotls, and newts are similar to frogs, but with many differences. Excluding axolotls, salamanders and newts have longer snouts and a tail. Newts are rarely found in the extant regions of Amphibia. They mostly reside in the capital city of Amphibia, Newtopia. Notable individuals that have been seen outside of Newtopia are Leopold Loggle, an axolotl, and Albus Duckweed, a salamander. Newts and salamanders are high-ranking scholars, mages, and aristocrats in Amphibia. They also have their own military force to their disposal, General Yunnan being the youngest newt to achieve the rank of general the Newtopian Army. And King Andrias is the king of this tropic world. Newts and salamanders are shown to be fast in water.
Olms (an aquatic salamander) in the show are titanic serpentine beasts, yet maintain sapient intelligence. Some individuals are born as conjoined twins, such as Lysil and Angwin in the episode "Quarreler's Pass", and are cannibals.
- The only order of amphibians not to be featured in the series so far is Gymnophiona (serpentine amphibians).
- All the Amphibian characters have four fingers on each hand while the Humans have five fingers on each hand.
- While most amphibians are humanoid, olms are the only type of Amphibian to lack an anthropomorphic body.
- It might seem most salamanders considered themselves to be the most superior and more civilized than other amphibians in the amphibian hierarchy, while toads think themselves are better than frogs.
- Although the frogs might be deemed the most inferior species in Amphibia, some of them achieved upper-class status as business magnates with large influence in that world by their own companies, like Wally's father Wigbert and Hop Pop's old friend Sal.
- While it is true their main language is English, the Amphibian language is more prominent in Newtopia despite a lot of English in there too.
Click here to view the gallery.