Anne Boonchuy (In Thai: แอนน์ บุญช่วย; English pronounciation: /bɔːntʃuːiː/ bawn-CHOO-ee; Thai pronounciation: [ɛːn bun buːn]) is a human girl who was transported into a new world. She is a 13-year old Thai-American 7th grader, who stole the Calamity Box for her and her friends, Sasha and Marcy, which took her to the mystical and magical world of Amphibia.
While lost in a strange world on an island in the shape of a lily pad, Anne finds a new best friend in an enthusiastic small young frog named Sprig Plantar. Together they start seeking adventures and exploring the secrets of the world of Amphibia.
Anne is a Thai-American teenage girl of tall height, with a slender build, light brown skin, and auburn hair.
When she was younger, her hair was braided into a tuft.
Anne wears a schoolgirl uniform as her everyday outfit. It consists of a white shirt with a pink collar and an "SJMS" (St. James' Middle School) crest on it, a short pink skirt, a yellow shoe, and white socks. She also carries a magenta pink backpack.
When she was younger, she wore smaller clothes.
Anne has several other dressed up appearances.
In "Lily Pad Thai", she wears traditional Thai attire known as Sabai, consisting of a green wrap skirt with geometric print, a cream breast cloth draped over one shoulder, a chain of flowers in her hair, and an elaborate flower bracelet on her wrist.
- To accompany her auburn hair, Anne has 3 small leaves, a stick, and a small curl that are always on her.
- She's missing a shoe on her right foot with her only shoe is worn loose to the point it could fall off unintentionally.
- Her shirt has a stain on the bottom left side.
- Additionally, for a short period of time after entering Amphibia, she has 2 rashes on her cheeks and 2 more stains on her clothes. ("Anne or Beast?")
Anne was described as "Self-Centered" by the official series description and as "fearless and independent" by her voice actress. As an example, in "Anne or Beast?" she was fearless enough to hold back the red praying mantis that was twice her size, in the hopes that the Wartwood townsfolk could flee unharmed. Also judging by her appearance, she is seemingly filled with an adventurous spirit, curiosity, and excitement.
However, Anne would show a dislike to pineapples (especially as a pizza topping) and will threaten anyone mentioning it.
She is also a bit of a rule-breaker, not respecting the limitations on her freedom within both Amphibia and the human world. As seen in episodes like "Best Fronds", Anne not only stole a music box while knowing it wasn't right to; she also showcases somewhat of a stubborn personality, this was shown throughout the series from when Anne pushed Sprig to go to the lake even though Hop Pop specifically told not to as he was still having doubts with Anne - thinking how he should not let a "monster" that is Anne wander outside and might terrorize the town.
Anne is shown to have a particular desire for friends, so much so that she did anything back on Earth to be friends with Sasha and Marcy, as she believed they wouldn't want to be friends with her if she didn't listen to their requests.
Despite her wild nature, she also shows to be caring to her friends and can take a favor, one being as how she was willing to break up Sprig and Maddie because of anxious and stressed Sprig is. Sometimes called "Angel of Death", it was also implied that she had done this to her other human friends.
Oftentimes, Anne knows the wrong decisions she makes aren't right, but she isn't willing to admit it unless she was under mass amounts of pressure. In an episode such as Contagi-Anne, she learned her mistake when she knew it wasn't the right idea to fake her sickness, as it was likely the reason the rest of the Plantar family became sick due to an extra workload during a storm. She did attempt to make up for her mistake by taking care of the Plantar's in their sick state, but she didn't admit her errors to the family until she believed they were going to die from the "disease" they caught.
She is also sometimes naive, depicted in how she is easily manipulated by her human friends. In "Best Fronds", it was implied that she used to have an unhealthy relationship with Sash, stating that when someone needs something, that said friends give it to him/her. However, in "Reunion" she stood up to Sasha stating that Sprig was a better friend to her than Sash as it was seen throughout the series.
In the episode "Lily Pad Thai", she was seen being proficient in culinary-related activities; having a vast knowledge of her own culture's cuisine. It was also stated that her parents owned a Thai restaurant back in her hometown. It can also be stated that she can be a professional waitress as she can persuade customers to eat at Stumpy's restaurant and acquire each customer's needs like delivering food and refilling drinks.
She can also cook better than Hop Pop that as he once stated before eating Anne's homemade omelet that he was eating "garbage" all this time, it can also be a callback to how he always loose at the food competition when he submits his own food as an entry.
Anne has been shown to be a natural athlete, claiming to have played varsity and practiced bouldering in school. In "The Big Bugball Game" she is made the team star player. She is able to use her skills in combat as well, holding her own against Toad Soldiers in "Toad Tax" and other threats throughout the show.
|Main article: Anne and Sprig's Relationship|
In the promotional description, Sprig was depicted not only as Anne's best friend but her first actual friend and sidekick who accompanies her in all the crazy adventures that Anne goes through.
Sprig is the complete opposite of Anne's friend, Sasha because he was the reflection of how Anne views what friendship really is. He was always there for her every time, even in times of hardship. Their relationship with Anne is very complex; in one episode where they had an argument about being roommates with each other when Hop Pop's basement which is also Anne's temporary bedroom flooded, and she had to move upstairs to Sprig's room. The fact that even after a fight, their relationship only grew stronger.
Polly was originally suspicious of Anne after the decision to let her stay in their home for the time she was in Amphibia. She even held onto a rolling pin for some time as both for defense and threatening Anne to not step out of line. Eventually, she started to warm up to her over the next few weeks of getting to know her, even if she wasn't very accustomed to Anne's lifestyle from where she lived. However, in episodes like Girl Time, Polly had begun to take a disliking to Anne after she was dragged around with her to do girly things that didn't fit any of her interests. but eventually, Anne began to realize it wasn't right to force Polly into surroundings she wasn't comfortable with and apologized, with Polly knowing that Anne just wanted them to have a good time.
Hop Pop was the most paranoid of the family during Anne's new presence in the town of Wartwood, but he was willing to let her stay with the family until she finds a way home. He has been known to teach Anne certain lessons about life along the way like in Anne Theft Auto when he taught Anne that there was more to driving than simply experience. Anne has also assisted Hop Pop during her stay like in Hop Pop and Lock when she tried to show him proper dancing moves in order to impress Sylvia Sundew. Hop Pop's paranoia, however, is also what's keeping him from telling information he found out about Anne's supposed music box. Even in Bizarre Bazaar, Anne trusted Hop Pop with the box, believing he could find more information about it in due time. But instead, he decided to bury the box beside the Plantar Farm, as he believed it to be too dangerous for the village.
|Main article: Sasha and Anne’s Relationship|
Sasha is one of two friends Anne had when she was in their world. The details of this relationship are as of yet unknown, but we do know that Anne saw her as one of her best friends and did anything to earn said friendship, even things she didn't want to do. She sometimes worries about her and Marcy even though Sasha and possibly Marcy are using her.
In the episode Reunion, in the flashback, Anne and Sasha were very close friends as it was shown when Sasha was trying to brighten Anne's day by hanging out with each other as a celebration for her birthday. Up until later when Sash showed her toxic attributes when she forced Anne to do her bidding, despite Anne being clearly uncomfortable by the thought of stealing from a thrift store.
Later in the episode, Anne realizes how controlling Sasha was of her life when she was fighting with her the "Toad Way" when she defended Sprig from Sasha's sword, things heated up leading to the conclusion that Anne thought that Sprig's friendship with her was healthier than that of her relationship with Sasha.
Although Sasha can be very controlling of Anne, she on the other hand also cares for her stating that Anne should be better off without her when she let go of Anne's hand when she tried to help Sasha from the collapsing tower.
Marcy is also one of the two friends Anne had in her world. Again, the relationship between the three is still unknown, but Anne considers Marcy as one of her best friends.
Foreign voice actors
|Spanish (Latin America)||Arelys González|
|Japanese||Rio Satō (佐藤 里緒)|
|Thai||Pimpida Pitaksonggram (พิมพิดา พิทักษ์สงคราม)|
"My name's Anne. Anne Boonchuy." ― Anne Boonchuy[source]
"When you’ve got your friend by your side, anything is possible." ― Anne Boonchuy[source]
"They’re not just frogs. They’re my friends!" ― Anne Boonchuy[source]
Behind the Scenes
Name and Basis
Anne's last name, Boonchuy, roughly translates to "one who encourages or performs good deeds" in the Thai language.
She was also based on Pacifica Northwest, a self-centered girl who improves her behavior as time goes by from the show "Gravity Falls", which Matt Braly worked on, and on Matt Braly's grandmother when she was a child.
Anne is voiced by Brenda Song, who is coincidentally also a Thai-American.
|1. "Anne or Beast?":||Debut||20. "Prison Break":||Pictured|
|2. "Best Fronds":||Appears||21. "Grubhog Day":||Appears|
|3. "Cane Crazy":||Appears||22. "Hop Pop and Lock":||Appears|
|4. "Flood, Sweat & Tears":||Appears||23. "Civil Wart":||Appears|
|5. "Hop Luck":||Appears||24. "Hop-Popular":||Appears|
|6. "Stakeout":||Appears||25. "Croak & Punishment":||Appears|
|7. "The Domino Effect":||Appears||26. "Trip to the Archives":||Appears|
|8. "Taking Charge":||Appears||27. "Snow Day":||Appears|
|9. "Anne Theft Auto":||Appears||28. "Cracking Mrs. Croaker":||Appears|
|10. "Breakout Star":||Appears||29. "A Night at the Inn":||Appears|
|11. "Sprig Vs Hop Pop":||Appears||30. "Wally and Anne":||Appears|
|12. "Girl Time":||Appears||31. "Family Fishing Trip":||Appears|
|13. "Dating Season":||Appears||32. "Bizarre Bazaar":||Appears|
|14. "Anne Vs. Wild":||Appears||33. "Cursed!":||Appears|
|15. "Contagi-Anne":||Appears||34. "Fiddle Me This":||Appears|
|16. "Family Shrub":||Appears||35. "The Big Bugball Game":||Appears|
|17. "Lily Pad Thai":||Appears||36. "Combat Camp":||Appears|
|18. "Plantar's Last Stand":||Appears||37. "Children of the Spore":||Appears|
|19. "Toad Tax":||Appears||38. "Anne of the Year":||Appears|
|Teen Girl in a Frog World|
|1. "No Signal":||Debut||2. "Whack-A-Mole":||Appears|
|3. "Scenic Route":||Appears||4. "Hop Popcorn":||Appears|
|5. "Cattail Catastrophe":||Appears|
- Anne's parents have a Thai restaurant back on Earth named Thai Go.
- Anne had a black and white-colored cat called Domino back on Earth.
- It is revealed in Reunion that the day Anne was teleported to Amphibia was also the same day she turned 13 years old, and her parents had planned to throw her a party at home.
- Anne is still in possession of the magic chest, which is now missing its gem colors.
- Anne's eyes faded blue in Anne or Beast? but it is unknown why. It may be an effect from the chest.
- She's skilled at fusion cooking and cutting food.
- Anne was part of her school's Tennis Varsity ("Flood, Sweat & Tears").
- She has brown irises. ("Breakout Star")
- She is a loud messy eater. ("Flood, Sweat & Tears")
- She likes massaging chairs and will deny if being asked to get off them. ("Girl Time")
- She did read zoo books and manga sometimes. ("Trip to the Archives")
- She did a bouldering Club in School. ("Wally and Anne")
- Back at home she was bullied and picked on. ("Reunion")
- She also a whack-a-mole champion. ("Whack-A-Mole")
- Anne has currently been living in Amphibia for more than 3 months as of Reunion.
- Anne is the first leading animated character in television history, to be Thai-American and the second leading Asian-American animated character on Disney Channel after Jake Long from American Dragon: Jake Long, who is of Chinese-American descent.
- Anne mentions that she is once a whack-a-mole champion on Earth. ("Whack-A-Mole")
- It is strongly implied that Anne is very responsible for the use of her phone since she spent days in Amphibia with her phone still being at full battery until Hop Pop drained it all in the episode "Taking Charge".
- She attends Saint James Middle School which seems to be a parochial school.
- Strangely enough, despite showing that she can get clean and has worn clean clothing and comb or slicked her hair on more than one occasion, her hair always seems to revert back to having leaves and sticks in it as if she has been dragged through the woods again.
- Anne was originally envisioned as being boring on earth before being reinvented by the crew. Her personality was loosely based on Pacifica Northwest from Gravity Falls and Matt Braly's grandmother when she was a little girl.
- Her last name "Boonchuy" (Thai: บุญช่วย) roughly translates to "one who encourages or performs good deeds". This fits her character as she attempts to help the people of Wartwood.
- Anne has shown a number of interesting talents over the course of the series such as dancing, dunking, and sewing. It is implied that she learned some of these skills either through her family or her friends.
- Some of Anne's quips such as her saving "Obvi", which is short for "Obviously", most likely came from Sasha, showing the influence that she has had on her.
- In "Reunion", it is revealed that Anne hated frogs to the point that Sasha would make fun of her for it and try to gross her out.
- Before living with the Plantars, Anne located herself in a cave that was filled with creatures.
Click here to view this page's gallery.
|— Characters —|
|Humans||Anne Boonchuy • Sasha • Marcy • Maggie|
|Plantar Family||Sprig Plantar • Hop Pop Plantar • Polly Plantar|
|Amphibians|| Bessie • Felicia Sundew • Ivy Sundew • Maddie Flour • Mayor Toadstool • Sadie Croaker • Wally • Leopold Loggle • Braddock • Mr. Flour • Percy • Stumpy • Toadie |
|Minor Characters||Anne's Father • Anne's Mother • Apothecary Gary/Lloyd • Maggie|