It premiered on May 22, 2021.
In a flashback, Marcy is at the library studying when she gets a text from Sasha reminding her about Anne's birthday and just as she is about to leave, a mysterious book falls by her. She reads the contents and learns about the Calamity Box and finds its ability to transport people to other worlds amusing when she gets a text from her parents demanding that she come home immediately. The conversation is not shown, but she is upset and declares that her parents are ruining her life and she runs away, only to come across the thrift store and recognizes the box from the book she was reading. She texts Sasha, declaring that she has found the perfect gift for Anne for her birthday.
Several Months Later, the three girls, the Plantar family, Grime and Frobo all arrive at the gates of Newtopia on Joe Sparrow. Marcy asks Sasha and Grime to keep their hoods up until they give the music box to King Andrias so she can put in a good word for them and clear them of any crimes. Sprig is saddened that their adventures are over, but Anne reminds them as long as they have the music box, they can see each other any time they want. As they enter the throne room, Andrias greets them and is delighted they were successful in their mission, but just as Anne is about to hand the box over to Andrias, Sasha and Grime make their move and steal the music box. Sasha threatens to destroy the music box; Andrias reminds her that the music box is her only way home, but Sasha explains that she's not sure she wants to go home, especially when she can rule an actual kingdom instead of some middle school. With Andrias distracted with Sasha, Grime is able to incapacitate him with Barrel's Warhammer. Now that Andrias is locked up and Grime gives the signal for their hidden toad soldiers to cause riots all over the city, the gates are now open for the rest of the toad army that will soon be arriving. Sasha continues to act cordial towards Anne and Marcy and even offers them to join her, but Anne refuses, calling her a horrible person and that she's done being friends with her. Marcy tries to end the hostilities peacefully, but to no avail. With that, Sasha tries to send Anne back to Earth to separate her from her surrogate frog family forever, but can't figure out how to get the box to work, so she orders the guards to send Anne to the dungeon until she can, along with Marcy, the Plantars, Lady Olivia and Frobo.
While being escorted down the hall, they are rescued by General Yunan who tries to introduce herself, but is interrupted by Olivia stating they don't have time and opens a secret passage outside and they head over to hide in Sal's old sandwich shop. When Marcy informs them that the rest of the toad army will reach the city in less than an hour, the group becomes dejected, but Anne motivates them to fight back and comes up with a plan. Hop Pop, Marcy and Olivia will break King Andrias out of the dungeon while Polly, Yunan and Frobo engage in a frontal assault on the toads in the city. Meanwhile, Anne herself and Sprig will close the gate to prevent the toad army from entering. While Sasha is hanging out in the throne room, Grime gives her a gift; a second sword so she can dual wield. Sasha is overjoyed, but when she looks at her reflection in the blade, she is saddened as she begins to wonder if Anne was right about her and is not sure what she wants anymore. Grime tries to cheer her up by helping her redecorate the castle, but when they tear down a tapestry, they find a mural under it showing the king using the box to cause destruction, making Sasha and Grime realize that Andrias may not be the benevolent monarch he makes himself out to be. Just then they see that Anne and the others have escaped and go to stop Anne from closing the gate. Sasha tries to warn Anne about what she knows about Andrias, but Anne is understandably still furious with her and attacks her. Anne manages to defeat her by pulling her own cape over her face while Sprig defeats Grime by knocking him out with Barrel's Warhammer. Anne manages to close the gate just in time and with King Andrias free, he orders the royal newt guard to round up and arrest the toad rebels.
With the toad invasion failed, Sasha and Grime are brought before the king with their hands bound in rope. Sasha once again tries to warn Anne, only for Yunan to cover her mouth with her tail. When Anne gives Andrias the box, he tells everyone present about a time when he was betrayed by his friends, that the music box was stolen from him and no one remembers what Amphibia was like 1,000 years ago, but now that he got the box back he will use its power to restore Newtopia to glory. Andrias then reveals that his ancestors were not explorers (Like he previously said in "A Day at the Aquarium") but instead they were "glorious" conquerors as he puts the music box on a pedestal to power up his castle, enabling it to fly, then he reactivates ancient factories all over Amphibia that create a frog-bot army that arrives at the castle within moments. Andrias informs the human girls that he can't send them home yet because he does not want them to warn the people of Earth of the coming invasion; to everyone's horror, he reveals that he is planning to finish his ancestors' work by conquering and ruling over all other worlds. When Anne and Sasha tell the king they'll stop him, he decides a demonstration of his power is in order and uses his castle's giant laser cannon to destroy the North Toad Tower. After witnessing such a devastating atrocity, Sasha appeals to Anne that they have to stop him while calling the giant newt king crazy, while Anne laments that she and everyone couldn't see what was right in front of them all this time. The group decides if they can the music box away from Andrias, they will have a fighting chance, but Marcy interrupts them and protests by saying this was not part of the plan the king told her, only for him to admit he had been deceiving her all this time. When Anne and Sasha ask what they're talking about, Marcy says that Andrias promised to take them to other worlds so they could have even more adventures like the ones they had in Amphibia forever. When asked why she made such a deal, Andrias decides to reveal Marcy's dark secret; she got the human girls stranded in Amphibia on purpose, leaving both Anne and Sasha in shock.
Marcy admits that she knew of the music box's power beforehand, then explains that her father got a new job out of state and her family was moving away and how she wanted to use the box so the three could be together forever. Anne asks how Marcy could do such a thing, because of how much she missed her family and her life back on Earth, so Marcy tries to justify her actions by reminding them of the fun adventure they had, how Anne and Sasha have grown as people in Amphibia and Anne's friendship with Sprig were all because of her, only for a distraught Anne to back away, leaving Marcy on her knees crying and saying she just didn't want to be alone and Andrias mocking her for her naivety. Anne looks around and realizes that while she and her two human friends have made a lot of mistakes, what Andrias was doing was evil and vows to stop him.
Sasha finally decides to do the right thing and fights by Anne's side; Grime also joins the battle. Marcy pulls herself together and joins the fight as well. Yunan protects Oliva after both defect from Andrias. Frobo is destroyed while protecting Polly from the king, leaving only his head, while Polly manages to finally grow a pair of legs (the reason for her constantly scratching herself this entire episode). She runs and grabs the box, but Andrias grabs Sprig and threatens to drop him if the box isn't put back. After the group complies with his demand, Anne begs him to release Sprig, but Andrias decides to drop him anyway out of spite. After a grief-stricken Anne witnesses her best friend falling to his doom, the second gemstone on the Calamity Box starts to flicker and Anne starts to glow blue, making Andrias realize she is still connected to it. Marcy rides on Joe Sparrow to rescue Sprig, while everyone else is awestruck at Anne's extraordinary new power as she destroys several robots and beats the king down to the floor.
After Anne powers down, Sprig runs up to her and she is thrilled that he is still alive as her surrogate frog family embrace her. Seeing that she can't fully control her power, Andrias manages to get a second wind and then decides he can't afford to let Anne live, but before he can do anything Marcy manages to use the Calamity Box to open a portal to Earth while Sasha and Grime keep the king busy. Anne and the Plantars jump through, along with Frobo's head, but when Anne beckons Marcy to come through, Andrias stabs her through the chest with his laser sword. Marcy apologizes for her actions just before succumbing to her critical injury and then collapses as the portal closes. Anne and the Plantars awaken on the hood of a green sedan car in the middle of Los Angeles traffic. As Anne solemnly comments that she is finally home, a title card reads "End of Part 2".
- Brenda Song as Anne Boonchuy
- Justin Felbinger as Sprig Plantar
- Bill Farmer as Hop Pop Plantar
- Amanda Leighton as Polly Plantar
- Haley Tju as Marcy Wu
- Anna Akana as Sasha Waybright
- Troy Baker as Captain Grime
- Keith David as King Andrias
- Michelle Dockery as Lady Olivia
- Zehra Fazal as General Yunan
- Matt Braly as Frobo
- Stephen Root as Mayor Toadstool
- Jack McBrayer as Toadie
- Bill Farmer as Toad Soldiers
- Troy Baker as Toad Soldiers
- Sumalee Montano as Mrs. Wu
- Eric Bauza as Mr. Wu
Title in other languages
|Dutch||Ware Gezicht||True Colors||The proverb 'ware gezicht' means 'true colors'.|
|For a full transcript of "True Colors", click here.|
- This is the last of the four 22-minute specials in Season 2, and the fifth of the series.
- However, the episode is actually two minutes longer, making this the first 24-minute episode and will surpass all other specials to become the longest episode of the series.
- Originally, the episode was supposed to air on May 1, 2021, but was delayed due to a scheduling shift.
- On May 2, 2021, the episode was accidentally released on iTunes, hours later it was deleted from the site.
- Shortly after the delay and leak on iTunes, a surge of fans took to social media to express their resentment towards Disney's treatment of the show with support being displayed from other showrunners and viewers alike.
- In the original version, a disclaimer warning was added in at the beginning for the intense final scenes, and a post-credits scene that featured the new opening theme of the third season was shown.
- This is the fourth episode to not play the theme song, at least at the beginning. The theme song is actually played in the end, except it’s the new one for the third season.
- Like in Reunion, instead of the animation from the credits of the second season, where Anne and the Plantars are on the road in the Fwagon, the episode again shows scrolling images of scenes from the entire second season.
- Similar to "After the Rain", when the synopsis was revealed on Twitter, it was noticeably kept hidden.
- In the duration between the iTunes leak and the episode's premiere, Matt Braly uploaded several videos on Twitter of characters telling fans to not watch the leak, with their voice actors in character passing the message. It started with Grime (Troy Baker), then was succeeded by Maddie (Jill Bartlett), Loggle (Brian Maillard), Yunan (Zehra Fazal), Felicia (Kaitlyn Robrock), Hop Pop (Bill Farmer), and finally Curator Ponds (Alex Hirsch).
- The shot where Sasha confronts Anne atop the Gates of Newtopia in the Season 2B trailer is noticeably different from how it is shown in the episode to which it had an improved background, lighting and overall cinematography.
- There was more to the fight between Anne and Sasha shown in a Twitter post by storyboard artist Inbal Breda.
- Sprig and Grime fighting is a reference to the series' pilot, where Sprig's prototype, Weed, fights Grime.
- This is the first episode to get a TV-Y7-FV rating due to Marcy getting injured by King Andrias's sword, which was hinted above about the new episode warning.
- Grime's green eye is his good eye, which means his blue eye is his bad eye.
- It is revealed that Marcy had knowledge of the Calamity Box and its powers, thanks to a book she read in the library, and it was because of this that when she found the box in the Thrift Stop, she sent a text message to Sasha saying it was the perfect gift for Anne's birthday. This makes Marcy responsible for sending the three girls to Amphibia in the first place.
- Marcy claims she did it because her father got a new job out of state, and her family would have to move, and she wanted to use the box so she could stay with Anne and Sasha forever, despite separating them from their lives and families, including herself from hers. However, her lust for friends with the methods she used made Anne, Sasha and the Plantars feel disgusted of Marcy's secret.
- King Andrias reveals that he wanted the box to bring back the old glory to Newtopia and be able to rule all worlds (possibly other planets and dimensions), and that his intention was never to send the three girls back home.
- He explains that the box was stolen from him years before, and this caused Newtopia's greatness to fall.
- Andrias destroys Frobo, by using his right fist that smashed the robot to pieces.
- Anne gains powers, thanks to the Calamity Box with her fury pointing at Andrias for he dropped Sprig out of the castle.
- Marcy is severely wounded by Andrias. This will put her in an apparent stasis from within a pod when seen in the Season 3 opening theme, potentially indicating she is barely alive.
- Anne returns back to Earth with the Plantars (along with Frobo's remains) getting transported with her.
- Polly finally gets her legs, as Marcy had said in "Marcy at the Gates".
- This episode takes place six months after "Anne or Beast?", and two months after the events of "Marcy at the Gates".
- Anne mentions the events of "A Night at the Inn", "The Domino Effect", and "Handy Anne". During her emotional remembrance, clips from "Anne or Beast?", and "Reunion" are shown, along with a reenactment of the credits from the first season, where Anne and Sprig are reading at night.
- The unknown Frog and Toad that were seen in a torn portrait in "The Sleepover to End All Sleepovers" are seen in a flashback and are reveald to be former friends of King Andrias.
- Marcy reveals that the deal King Andrias proposed to her in "A Day at the Aquarium" was to bring him the box with the three loaded gems to carry out his plan, and in exchange, he would take the three girls with him to the new worlds.
- Gertie, the restaurant waiter and the newt singing at the beginning of "Scavenger Hunt" can be seen in this episode.
- Sal's abandoned restaurant is visited again as a temporary hideout.
- Hop Pop's acting skills from "A Caravan Named Desire" are put in to good use to distract the toad soldiers guarding Andrias.
- Hop Pop's monologue used to distract the toad soldiers was about Charlie Bigbottom the Plantar's pet that Hop Pop misses dearly, this is his second mention since his first in "The Domino Effect".
- The Ruins of Despair, from the episode "Fort in the Road", can be seen producing more frog robots.
- An instrumental re-mix version of the song "No Big Deal" from "Battle of the Bands" can be heard while Anne fights King Andrias.
- The track was later released by Matt Braly on his twitter which was titled as "Anne's Power". It was also released by TJ Hill on his Soundcloud.
- Gravity Falls and Gargoyles - The characters Bill Cipher and Goliath appear in the book in which Marcy discovers the Calamity Box. Both characters were respectively voiced in their shows by Alex Hirsch and Keith David.
- Vitruvian Man - The page on which Goliath appears is a reference to Leonardo da Vinci's drawing, Vitruvian Man.
- Donald Duck - The back of Marcy's phone has an image of a duck wearing a blue hat, similar to Donald.
- Dragon Ball Super - When Anne gains powers from the Calamity Box, it is a reference to the Super Saiyans.
- Sonic the Hedgehog - On the table Marcy is sitting at in the library, there's a carving of a Chao.
- Bob Ross - One of the promos for the episode references famous artist, Bob Ross.
- Kingdom Hearts II - Another one of the promos is a reference to Kingdom Hearts II.
- Castle in the Sky - King Andrias' flying palace and his robot army references the flying fortress and its robot sentinels from the Ghibli film that were also going to be used for world conquest.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron - King Andrias' flying palace and his robot army could also reference the flying section of land taken from the city of Sokovia and Ultron Sentries from the Marvel film that were also going to be used for world conquest.
- Star Wars - King Andrias packs a lightsaber-like sword as his primary weapon.
- Shin Seiki Evangelion - During Anne's powered up attack King Andrias protects himself with a pentagonal shield that references the Absolute Terror Field (A.T. Field) used as a barrier by both Angels and Evangelions.
- Thor Ragnarok - Sasha and Grime tearing off a tapestry showing King Andrias as a benevolent ruler only to find a mural showing him as a bloodthirsty conqueror is parallel to the scene of Hela destroying a mural portraying Odin as a benevolent ruler that covers one showing his past as a conqueror.
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Strikers - TBA
- When the episode was initially leaked, a group shot during the climax showed a generic green-skinned male newt with a beret instead of Lady Olivia. This was corrected when the episode was officially aired.
Click here to view the gallery.